Spectres of the Last War
Strongest in the Eldeen Reaches, the various druidic sects are found throughout Khorvaire and even on other continents. Though united in their desire to defend nature and destroy corruption, the manner of approach for each of the sects can be quite different. Below are some of the more influential sects:
- The Wardens of the Wood—This is the largest sect, having learned their traditions from the awakened great pine Oalian deep within the Eldeen Reaches. This sect is the most peaceful and some would say rational of the druidic traditions. They seek coexistence of nature and civilization.
- The Ashbound—This sect is arguably the staunchest defender of the natural world from unnatural threats. Indeed, they are as fanatical as they are small (maybe 1,700 members), and seek to destroy all those who would wield arcane magic. While a fiend from the depths of Khyber would be given priority, the Ashbound also see civilization as a cancer upon nature and happily destroy farm equipment when given the chance.
- The Children of Winter—To this sect death and disease are part of the natural cycle and should be embraced, not feared. They see a great Cleansing as imminent and necessary, allowing nature to start over. And to facilitate this, the Children of Winter do their best to bring about the end of the world, mostly through disease. Fortunately, they number even fewer than the Ashbound.
- The Gatekeepers—This is the oldest sect, having been taught by dragons millennia ago. The were the ones who awakened Oalian and who threw the daelkyr, immensely powerful beings from Xoriat, the Plane of Madness, into their prisons. Most Gatekeepers are orcs or half-orcs and live on the western edge of Khorvaire. It is their sacred duty to defend the world from extra-planar threats, which they accomplish mainly by tending the seals between worlds.
- The Greensingers—This is by far the most reclusive sect, populated mainly by eladrin, elves, and half-elves who spend as much time in Thelanis (the Feywild) as they do in Eberron. They are a chaotic, fractious group that believes only that if a thing exists, it is meant to exist. This includes outsiders like the daelkyr. They are obsessed with studying manifest zones (places where other planes intersect with Eberron) and loosening planar seals.